Friday, December 4, 2009

Creamy Ginger Chicken Soup

Update: After eating more of this soup, Jonathan and I agreed that I should ammend the recipe to 1/4 c butter instead of 1/2 cup. Probably the first time I've ever decided something had too much butter! At any rate, start with 1/4 cup, and add more if you feel it needs it.

I had a hankering for a certain soup today... a soup I had never made or eaten, and one for which I couldn't find a recipe. Creamy, chickeny, savoury. But not Mexican-type savoury. So I made it up, and I love the way it turned out. Hope you like it!

Laurel's Creamy Ginger Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
3 lbs. chicken breasts
6 medium-large potatoes, peeled and diced
Fresh Ginger Root, minced (I used one medium size root that resulted in at least 1/2 c of minced ginger. Feel free to use more.)
1 medium onion, diced or minced according to your family's preference
5 cloves garlic
1/4 c butter
1 c white wine (I used cooking wine and honestly think that real wine would add an even better flavor. If you don't use either, add an extra cup of water)
1 c heavy cream
1 c sour cream
1 t salt (plus to taste)
1 t Garam Masala
Pepper to taste

Boil 3 lbs. of boneless chicken breasts in just enough water to cover them. When cooked, set the chicken aside to cool. Run the resulting broth through a strainer to catch any little pieces. You'll need 6 cups for the soup, so save the extra or add some water to make up the difference. I felt the need to wash my soup pot before proceeding, but that step is optional. :-)

In 6 cups of chicken broth and 1 tsp salt, boil the potatoes until just tender. Remove from heat.
Add the chicken, which you have cut up or pulled apart while the potatoes boiled.


In 2 T of butter, saute onion until it begins to become translucent. (Add the remainder of your 1/4 c of butter to the soup pot with the potatoes and chicken.)


Add ginger and garlic and saute a bit longer, add white wine and let simmer for several minutes.



Add the onion/ginger/garlic/wine mixture to soup pot, then stir in cream, sour cream, Garam Masala, and salt/pepper to taste.

Warm, but do not allow to start to boil. Serve and enjoy!

4 comments:

Genene said...

I look forward to trying this. Sounds delicious!!

Genene said...

Oh, I meant to mention, all you need is a "printable version" of the recipe. =}

TAB said...

That sounds so good-indian inspired soup! I think my husband would really like it!

Laurel said...

Let me know what you think if you try it, Tab! :-)